Coupon codes are one of the most effective methods to encourage your customers to buy more and boost sales. It has been effectively used to retain customers and helps in establishing a loyal customer base as well.
Coupon Codes in Magento 2
Magento 2 is one of the most powerful eCommerce platforms in the market, and it also offers a coupon code feature for your business. Magento 2 allows you to create coupon codes for specific customers/products or groups or anyone who you want to target.
Furthermore, you can send these coupon codes via email or have them attached to your newsletters, catalogs, or advertisements. This may be presented in the form of a banner or image or even as a QR code on your eCommerce storefront.
How Do Customers Use the Coupon Code?
The customers' coupon codes can be used during their checkout process by inputting the code in their cart, and the discount is applied to the particular order immediately. The Cart Price Rules in Magento 2 helps you run promotions on your store and give discount offers to customers using coupon codes.
Steps to Follow for Creating Coupon Code in Magento 2
Now that we have discussed why Magento store owners need to implement coupon codes in their store and their importance in establishing a loyal customer base, let's see how you can create coupon codes in Magento 2.
The first thing you need to make sure of is that you are logged into the Magento store as Admin from the backend. Once you can access the Magento 2 dashboard, follow the steps mentioned below.
Marketing→ Promotions→ Cart Price Rules
Once you have navigated yourself to the Cart Price Rule menu, you will be able to see a button that says "Add New Rule."
Click on the "Add New Rule" button and expand a tab called "Rule Information," This is where you provide all the details for the coupon you want to create in Your Magento store.
1. "Rule Information" Tab
The details you submit on the Rule Information tab include the following.
- "Rule Name" where you can provide the name you want to give the coupon
- "Active" option to activate or deactivate the coupon
- "Websites" option allows you to enable the coupon for multiple sites in case you are running a multistore
- "Customer Groups" allow you to specify the groups for whom the coupon is applicable
- "Coupon" allows you to select a specific coupon from the drop-down menu
- "Coupon Code" is where you can enter the specific coupon code you want to give your customers
Furthermore, you also have the options in the "Rule Information" tab to specify the number of users/times the coupon can be used, set a validity, and even set a priority for the coupon. The lower the number the higher the priority.
2. "Conditions" Tab
The "Rule Information" tab specifies the outline of the coupon you want to create. Moving on, the next tab, which is the "Conditions" tab, allows you to set different conditions and sub-conditions for your coupons.
Using this tab, you can specify special conditions for the coupons so that it can encourage customers with good offers but without having to compromise on your Magento store's revenue.
3. "Actions" Tab
Similar to the "Rule Information" tab, the "Actions" tab also comes with a number of options that can be used to specify the coupon's characteristics like the discount amount, minimum quantity, etc. Some of the important provisions available in the tab include the following.
- The "Apply" option allows you to select the discount method using a drop-down menu
- The "Discount Amount" option enables you to enter the discount amount you want to apply for this unique promotion
- "Maximum Qty Discount is Applied To" is the option you can use to enter the number/quantity of products the customer needs to purchase to use the coupon
- "Discount Qty Step (Buy X)" is the option that lets you offer a "Buy X Get Y Free" model discount on your Magento store (You may even specify the quantity/number of products (X) the customer needs to buy to get Y free. You can also use the percentage of the product's price in this option.)
- "Apply to Shipping Amount" is a button that applies the discount to the shipping cost when turned ON
- "Discard subsequent rules" is a button that, when turned ON, disables customers from using other rules after this one implying only one coupon can be applied at a time
- "Free Shipping" allows you to enable or disable Free Shipping for orders that use the coupon codes at checkout
4. "Labels" Tab
"Labels" is the final tab before the coupon code you created becomes active, and the labels tab is used to set labels for your promotion.
Once you have gone through all tabs mentioned above, you can finally save the changes by pressing the "Save" button, and your coupon code is all set to go.
Magento 2 is a powerful eCommerce platform, allowing you to implement essential marketing strategies like coupon codes on it easily. As you can see, the creation of coupon codes in Magento 2 is pretty straightforward and requires zero coding knowledge. Thanks to Magento 2's inbuilt coupon code creation capability, you can easily implement the coupon code facility in your store.
Furthermore, the coupon code feature on Magento 2 is flexible and allows you to set coupon codes by various methods, including percentage discounts. It even has provisions to reflect the discount in shipping cost, enable/disable shipping cost altogether, and much more.
It is evident that Magento 2 has pretty much nailed the coupon code feature on its platform and made it easy for you to employ the same to establish long-lasting customer relationships.